Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bad, Bad, Blogger!

So I've been a very bad blogger, lately!
But in my defense, I've also been very busy!
After thinking I could never find time to do it, I managed to walk at least 2 miles 4 days last week! For me that is huge since I have to push my son along in a stroller.  So that's sort of the only exercise I can really do with him "along for the ride." I'm not really ready to make a financial commitment to a gym and many do not have free childcare; not that my son would do well in the childcare room, but that's another post :-)

I've also been busy because Sweetpea's 7th birthday is coming up and we've been planning her party.  Poor thing was born so that her birthday will always be closest to Memorial Day weekend! It's been especially hard this year, because it seems no one is coming! We're still trying for responses, but I made invitations and reminders for her entire class and still only 4 of them have responded - 3 No's and 1 yes.  That's encouraging, huh?
So anyway, what's up with people not responding? Does no one know what RSVP means? Because in plain English (ok~ I know it's French, but you know what I mean!) - it means RESPOND! It doesn't say, regrets only; it doesn't say call us if you're coming (although, that would certainly be understood).
I actually printed "Please call even if you can't attend" on the reminders and only one additional call came in! So what's a Mom to do?

Anyway, all of this party planning has me reflecting on the birth of my first child and how it can't possibly have been 7 years ago! Then earlier today, I read MamaKat's blog post about her daughter's birthday and the birth experience that went along (you can check it out here).
So I was thinking I might share some of story about the day Sweetpea was born.

Let me first start by saying, in my family, I am unaware that any blood relative of mine has ever given birth on or before her due date.  As miserable as I was, I was totally prepared to go up to 2 weeks past my official due date.  And it was getting HOT! My original due date was the first week of June, so going  past that didn't seem incredibly exciting! I mean, I'd gained almost 50 pounds during my pregnancy; and considering my height (or lack there of) I was giving a whole new meaning to the concept of the pregnant waddle!

So imagine my surprise when 9 days BEFORE my due date, my water broke! And let me back-track for a minute...

While we usually went to bed early during the week, for some reason, Hubby and I stayed up until eleven p.m. this particular night. An hour later, having just barely gotten to sleep good, I had to get up to potty.  As soon as my feet hit the floor, GUSH!
All those people who told me I might "miss it" if/ when my water broke - ya'll were wrong!

[No offense to the guys reading this, but I'm warning you now, there may be some things coming you don't want to know! Don't say I didn't warn you...]

So I waddled my way to the bathroom, and managed to sit down on the toilet.  Hubby, who'd heard my gasp was immediately outside the bathroom door asking "what's wrong?"

An aside here - when I'm half-asleep, don't talk to me.  Not in the morning, not at night, not in the middle of the night when one of the kiddos has awakened for the 14th time! Just don't- I don't manage well!
So, at midnight after only one hour of sleep (if that) I wanted to say, "what do you think is wrong, you big dummy?" I managed to tell him what had happened and ask for new underwear :-) Which of course he had no idea where to find...yep, didn't know where my undergarment drawer was...not the slightest clue...and probably doesn't know today :-)

I managed to get myself dressed (in dry clothes) and come out of the bathroom.  We called the on-call Dr. in my practice and I tried to finish packing my hospital bag.  Mostly packed, but not completed, because after all, I had at least 9 days, right? It seemed a little more urgent at this point, and looking back, I didn't use 75% of what I packed!

The biggest thought running through my head at this point (besides pure fear)? I hadn't had the first contraction! So I was concerned and told Hubby so as we got our things together and got in the car.  We had a minimum 30 minute drive to the hospital and I did start to contract on the way, but I was convinced it was very bad that my water broke before contractions started. In the car, we timed contractions...length of time in between and how long they each were...boy were they random! All over the place! Some would come 2 minutes apart, some would be 7 or more minutes apart and ranged in duration from 2 to 3.5 minutes.

We made it to the hospital and got checked in.  I must say, even with the pre-registration I did, it took waaay too long! Imagine those poor ladies in serious labor upon arrival! I was uncomfortable enough...

So I got my first experience with triage...and wasn't that fun?! It seems there were no labor and delivery rooms available when I arrived, and they had to clean one.
REALLY? Like it was a hotel or something I was checking-in to!

(to be continued...)


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on all your walking!! You go girl!!!

    Can't wait to read the rest of your daughter's birth story!